JustRight for Refugee Children aims to improve the lives of refugee and migrant children and young people in Scotland, increase access to protection and rights in all spheres of their lives; and promote societal understanding of migrant children and young people’s rights. We use our expertise to provide a child-centred legal service which specifically focuses on the areas where refugee and migrant children find it difficult to realise their rights, including in the immigration/asylum and child care system systems.
Who we are
Andy Sirel is an Associate and heads our project JustRight for Refugee Children. Andy specialises in working directly with unaccompanied asylum seeking children and child victims of trafficking, as well as previously accompanied migrant children in care. You can read more about Andy here.
What we do
At JustRight for Refugee Children we currently deliver the following services:
- Specialist, direct legal advice and representation to migrant children and young people;
- Establishment of collaborative working pilots;
- Contribution to policy and research at a local, national and international level; and
- Dissemination of rights based information through public legal education and professional training.
If you wish to make a client referral to JustRight for Refugee Children, do it here.
Using our funding from Unbound Philanthropy and the Legal Education Foundation, we are in the process of establishing two collaborative pilots:
- Scottish Guardianship Service – The Scottish Guardianship Service (SGS) is a Scottish Government-funded service operated by Scottish children’s charity Aberlour in partnership with the Scottish Refugee Council. We feel that it is important for our service and SGS to combine our skills and expertise for the increasing numbers of migrant children seeking protection in Scotland. We aim to streamline our respective advocacy and legal advice services to provide an efficient, best practice model which maximises our resources. We will also provide a 2nd tier advice service for Guardians to assist them in their broad and demanding role supporting children and young people through multiple protection processes.
- Pro Bono Pilot – we are establishing a pro bono legal pilot for children in Scotland. We will initially pilot the pro bono collaboration with global law firm DLA Piper LLP. DLA Piper are acutely conscious of the value of the pro bono sector and operate a well-established pro bono programme worldwide. We will work with DLA Piper’s highly skilled lawyers to focus on immigration applications for migrant children in the care of the local authority, with the aim of getting them “settled” status in the UK as quickly as possible. This is a key area we have identified as requiring specialist legal intervention.